Crystals break for various reasons. Sometimes we’re complete with the lessons those gems bring. Other times, they’re complete with the work they’re meant to do with us. And other times, they’ve absorbed the toxicity around us and can no longer hold it. Whatever the reason, know that your gemstone is a trustworthy ally and companion on your journey to healing, manifestation, growth, and ascension.
Why do crystals break?
Breaks don’t always occur from being dropped or knocked over. I’ve heard stories of crystals spontaneously falling apart during meditation, ritual, or energy healing work. There are many reasons a crystal might break and it may have nothing to do with you.
5 reasons a crystal might break:
1) Negativity and toxicity in the environment. Gemstones work to bring alignment and balance to our lives. They absorb the negativity and toxicity around us, and sometimes it’s too much to hold, causing a break.
2) Crystal healing. If your crystal breaks or shatters while doing energy work, it’s best to discontinue working with it for healing. It’s served its purpose and has absorbed all the energy it can.
3) Unaligned crystal frequency. Gemstones carry their own unique vibration. There are times when our frequency simply doesn’t resonate with a crystal’s particular energy. There are no mistakes and you’re simply being guided to a more aligned stone.
4) Your lesson is complete. Often we work with crystals on specific intentions to guide us through the seasons of our life. When we alchemize the lessons we’re meant to learn, it can be a sign that we’ve integrated them and it’s time to release with gratitude and move on.
5) Your crystal is overworked. We all have a crystal we enjoy working with most and it’s possible to overcharge or overwork your gemstone. It’s important to give your crystal a break just as you would your muscles after a rigorous workout. Are you giving your stone too much power? Are you relying on it to do the work for you? Is the intention you set for your crystal in alignment with your highest good?
What to do if a crystal does break:
1) When a crystal breaks, the first thing to do is to take some time and reflect on the event.
2) Take a few moments to meditate on your relationship with the crystal, what it has meant to you, and why it might have chosen to break at that moment.
3) Acknowledge any feelings that arise, especially if they are associated with sadness or grief.
4) Don’t judge yourself for having these feelings—simply observe them and let them pass through.
5) The next step is to clear the energy of the crystal before disposing of it.
This can be done by cleansing it with water or smudging it with sage for a few minutes.
Once cleared, thank your crystal for its service and release it back into nature by burying it in the ground.
6) If this isn’t an option, you can also wrap it in a cloth and place it inside a box.
7) Bury the fragments in your favorite flower bed.
8) If you don’t want to part with your favorite crystal, smudge it with white sage or place it outside in the light of day to recharge it.
9) If you got a clean break, perhaps it’s a sign that you’re meant to share it with a friend or loved one who could also benefit from that stone’s vibrations.
10) Add the broken pieces to a crafting set, which you can use to decorate a wand, or even in a crystal grid.
Finally, take some time afterwards to reflect on how this experience has impacted you spiritually. Try to be positive and remember that what appears broken today may open new doors tomorrow.
Crystals are powerful spiritual tools and they can still be used when broken.
Whether you choose to return the crystal back to nature, gift a piece of it to someone special or use its pieces for craft projects, there are still plenty of ways broken crystals can continue providing their unique energy.
While breaking a crystal may seem like an unfortunate event at first glance, looking more closely reveals how something seemingly ‘broken’ can become part of something beautiful in our lives – if we take the time to look beyond what meets the eye.